The Region is accepting applications for the upcoming Secular Franciscan Spiritual Assistants Course. If you believe the Lord is calling you to this most honored position in our Order please contact Br. Kip Ledger at: email@example.com
Below is more information on the Spiritual Assistants Program:
Trainers for Next Spiritual Assistant’s Course:
Kip Ledger, OFM Cap firstname.lastname@example.org
Fr. Vincent Cushing OFM email@example.com
Anne Mulqueen, OFS firstname.lastname@example.org
- January 13 — begins Course for Spiritual Assistant with a Day of Reflection
- January 20 – interviews conducted
- March 10 – first Class
- Meeting Place to be determined
Our Course Outline – note some changes from previous course:
- Two-year course – Combination correspondence and quarterly group meetings with a retreat once a year
- Group gatherings: Br. Kip presents Franciscan spirituality, Father Vincent presents theological reflections, and Anne Mulqueen will handle basic information from our guiding documents.
- Training is primarily for Secular Franciscans, but open to friars and sisters
- Most important point: Spiritual assistance is a response to the call of the Holy Spirit
- It is a service rendered to a fraternity. (See General Constitutions Article 89.4(b)) it is not a position of superiority, but one of service.
II Mandate from CIOFS in Regard to Training Secular Franciscans as Spiritual Assistants – Citing General Constitutions 89.4(b) and Spiritual Assistants Statutes Art. 15.4(b)
- First chosen as Spiritual Assistant is a Franciscan friar – then a Franciscan religious brother or sister – then
- b. Diocesan clerics or other persons, specially prepared for such service, who are members of the Secular Franciscan Order;
- The major superiors retain the responsibility to appoint the secular spiritual assistance at all levels of fraternity
- Secular Franciscans must be professed a minimum of five years
- Secular Franciscan – Spiritual Assistant cannot belong to the same fraternity he/she provides assistance
- The Spiritual Assistant must be suitable and well-prepared
- Secular Franciscan Spiritual Assistant must be faithful to the Catholic faith–the Franciscan Charism and live in conformity with the Rule, General Constitutions, and all Statutes.
- Secular Franciscans must possess a solid Franciscan formation, good working knowledge of Scripture, Franciscan sources, OFS Rule, General Constitutions and Church documents
- And it is understood they will not vote in financial matters or elections
We have a tremendous shortage of Spiritual Assistants in the United States, several fraternities in the St. Margaret of Cortona Region have not had the privilege of a Spiritual Assistant for years. Please think and pray and listen to your heart to see if the Holy Spirit is calling on you.